Past Continuous - Something which happened over a period of time in the past.
See what the little girl was doing :
How to use the Past Continuous:
Making the Past Continuous : use "to be" in the past (was/were) + verb + ing ending. (present participle)
Past Continuous - Examples:
1. Yesterday at 4 o'clock I was watching football.
2. Last week at this time we were visiting our friends.
3. Last night she was writing a letter to her mother.
4. Yesterday he was working.
(All these things took quite a long time.)
Yesterday at lunch time (
1. Mr Brown a cake. (eat)
2. Clare lunch for her friends. (cook)
3. John and Jane on the phone. (talk)
4. Jim chess. (play)
5. Fred his car. (drive)