Got confused by your explanation

Got confused by your explanation

Postby jiang on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:01 am

Dear Prof.,

I am sorry to say that I didn't realize you were in Easter break and I hope my question didn't bother you.

Thank you very much for your explanation. And thank you so much for pointing out the printing mistake.

I got confused by two points (please look at the parts in the brackets):

No.1
In this case does "switching from blowing westward to the east" means begin to blow form east to west?
No.2
Does it mean water flow from Australia can reach Peru which is in the west Western Hemisphere?

(E1 begins, however, some months prior to that, when trade winds in the western tropical Pacific drop or even shift, switching from blowing westward to the east.) When this happens, a body of warm water that normally pools ( in the ocean east of Australia begins to move toward the coast of Peru).Warm air rising from the surface of this mass---which is as much as 12F warmer than normal-acts like a paddle stuck into the southern jet stream, redirecting it northward and altering weather from Australia to Canada to Africa. The warm water itself, meanwhile, is like a cap on a bottle when it hits the coast of Peru, halting the rise of cold, nutrient-rich water that typically emerges along the Sough American coast from deep in the Pacific. That drastically affects the food chain for marine mammals, birds, and fish.

When E1 Nino occurs, ___________.
A. it doesn’t change its direction all the way
B. the warm air rising from the sea is much warmer than normal
C. the trade winds in the Pacific blow eastward to the west
D. weather change from Africa to Australia in turn

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang
jiang

Re: Got confused by your explanation

Postby prof on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Let's begin with the original question - where an answer said that 'winds blow eastward to the west'. This answer made no sense, because a wind can either blow to the east or to the west but not both at the same time.

However if the wind 'switches' (i.e. changes) from blowing to the west to blowing to the east, then a wind that blew in one direction now blows in the opposite though in this case it blows to the east, not from the east.

(Remember it blows eastward if it blows towards the sunrise, even if the wind is blowing from Japan to Canada, or from Australia to Peru.)

Also, according to the text, water from Australia moves towards Peru - the text only gives the direction of the movement, but does not say if the water actually completes the journey.
prof
Site Admin

Return to any questions