walk/walk on/walk along - show/introduce/present

walk/walk on/walk along - show/introduce/present

Postby Léopold on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Dear Prof,

Here is a sentence I would like you to help me complete:
In a fashion show, models (A) ... a catwalk to (B) ... new styles of clothes to the audience.

Which among the options below is (are) correct to complete each blank?
Blank A:
1. walk
2. walk on
3. walk along

Blank B:
1. show
2. introduce
3. present

If two options are correct but have different meanings, please, explain the difference.

Thank you.
Léopold

Re: walk/walk on/walk along - show/introduce/present

Postby prof on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:37 pm

With Blank A , if I have to choose one of your options, then to 'walk' a catwalk is probably the best choice, though 'walk along' is also possible. We can use 'walk' as a transitive verb in this way when the surface is special (as in 'to walk the plank'), and we can also use 'walk along' because that describes the action. However, 'to walk down' a catwalk is probably the best expression to use here.

Incidentally it is called a catwalk, because models tend to place one foot directly in front of the other while displaying the clothes, and that is how a cat walks.

With Blank B all the choices are possible. The models are showing the clothes to the audience. If the clothes are new designs - and they usually are - then the designs are being introduced to the audience. (Though we would usually introduce the audience to the designs rather than the other way around.) Anything that is shown for inspection is 'presented' so this also is a valid word to use here. Personally I would choose 'presented' as the meaning most fully covers what you mean to say.
prof
Site Admin

Return to any questions